This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love desserts with little to no added sugar, so I decided to experiment with some ingredients I had on hand to create this delicious banana bread! You can enjoy this as a dessert, at breakfast or as a snack, and it’s got just enough sweetness to satisfy.
What’s great about this recipe nutritionally?
First, there is no added sugar whatsoever! If you’ve ever checked out the food label on some of those store-bought desserts, you might notice that some of these have a pretty large amount. This banana bread is naturally sweet and doesn’t contribute those empty calories that many other desserts do. For other ideas on healthy desserts, check out this post on quick easy desserts.
Second, this bread is a great source of micronutrients (vitamins and minerals). Bananas provide potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B6, among others. In the coconut milk, you’ll also find a host of vitamins and minerals (although amounts of some may be small), such as iron and potassium.
Thirdly, this sweet treat is a great source of fiber, which comes from the bananas, whole wheat flour and chia seeds! Fiber is important not only for healthy weight maintenance but also for healthy digestion. If you’re looking for more information on fiber, as well as more ideas for food choices with fiber, check out my post on high-fiber snacks.
How should I choose the ingredients?
Here, I give you my recommendations for some of the ingredients:
- Coconut milk: I recommend Native Forest Simple Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk. I like this brand because the only ingredients are organic coconut and filtered water.
- Apple cider vinegar: I use Kirkland Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. Love the taste of this, and also add a little bit to sparkling water sometimes as a tasty drink.
- Chia seeds: I love Nutiva Organic Premium Raw Black Chia Seeds.
- Whole wheat flour: I often use King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat Flour.
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups organic whole wheat flour
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl. Add all other wet ingredients, then add eggs and mix until everything is combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients with a whisk until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.
- Grease a baking dish and pour mixture into dish.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a knife in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Would love to hear what you think below!