By Paige Doyle, Certified Nutritionist and Dietetics Student at UNC
Reviewed by Jinan Banna, PhD, RD
Where does French toast come from?
Despite the name, French toast was used first in 17th-century England. The French call this dish “pain perdo,” which translates to “lost bread.” People would use day-old bread to make French toast instead of throwing it away. However, the idea of bread being dipped in a mix of milk and eggs dates back to the Roman Empire. In a collection of recipes called the Apicius, a dish called “aliter dulcia”, calls for sliced fine white bread, soaked in milk and beaten egg, then fried in oil and covered with honey. Today, French toast has been revised into an elegant brunch dish enjoyed in Europe and the U.S.
Traditional sourdough bread is fermented over a long period of time. This fermentation of yeast and bacteria has shown to be beneficial for your health. Research suggests that sourdough bread can improve gut microbiota, digestion, and the bioavailability of nutrients (meaning that your body can better utilize these nutrients). If you are interested in learning more about the health benefits of sourdough bread, be sure to check out our blog post on sourdough. For those wanting to try baking with sourdough culture, read this article by Michele Redmond, MS, RDN in Food and Nutrition Magazine for some useful tips.
Nutritional Content of Sourdough French Toast Recipe with Whipped Topping
|French Toast||215 kcals||28 g||10 g||9 g|
|Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free French Toast||209 kcals||25 g||9 g||9 g|
|Pure Maple Syrup (2 Tbsp)||100 kcals||27 g||0 g||0 g|
|Whipped Cream||28 kcals||2 g||2 g||1 g|
|Dairy-Free Whipped Cream||73 kcals||1 g||2 g||8 g|
Choose Some of These Nutrient-Dense Toppings
– Hemp seeds:
According to the USDA nutritional database, hemp seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory and support cognitive health. They are also a great source of protein, fiber, vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc.
Berries of all kinds are rich in fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants. Antioxidants are substances found in plant foods that help fight off cellular damage, including damage to the heart.
– Coconut shreds:
Shredded coconut is rich in fiber, iron, and zinc. Coconut meat is also full of medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs. MCTs are fatty acids that are easy to digest and utilized for energy. Research also suggests that consuming MCT oils, and foods rich in these fats, such as coconuts, avocados, and macadamia nuts, can help with weight loss.
– Cacao nibs:
Cacao nibs are made from crushing dried cocoa beans. Unlike chocolate, cacao nibs are unprocessed and unsweetened. They are rich in fiber, protein, magnesium, manganese, and copper. They are also packed with flavonoids, powerful antioxidants that have been shown to reduce the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and neurodegenerative disorders.
Sourdough French Toast and Homemade Whipped Topping Recipe
Sourdough French Toast
- ¼ cup Flour for gluten-free option, use almond flour
- 1 cup Whole milk for dairy-free option, use almond milk
- 3 ea Pasture-raised eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tbsp Pure maple syrup, or 10-12 drops of stevia
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Butter for frying pan for dairy-free option, use coconut oil
- 8-10 ea Thick slices of day-old sourdough bread for gluten-free option, visit a gluten-free bakery or check in the frozen section at the grocery store
Homemade Whipped Topping
- 1 + ¼ cup Cold whole fat milk substitute for coldcanned coconut milk, uniformly mixed, for a dairy-free version
- 2 tsb Grass fed gelatin I like the Great Lakes brand
- 12 drops Stevia extract
- 1 tsb Vanilla extract
Sourdough French Toast
- Measure flour into a medium mixing bowl. Add the milk slowly while whisking.¼ cup Flour, 1 cup Whole milk
- Whisk in the eggs, followed by the maple syrup (or stevia), cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.3 ea Pasture-raised eggs, 1 tsp Vanilla, 1 tbsp Pure maple syrup, or 10-12 drops of stevia, ⅛ tsp Salt, ¼ tsp Nutmeg, ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Heat a frying pan with butter (or coconut oil) over medium heat. Once hot, start soaking your bread, first on one side then the next until well saturated.1 tbsp Butter for frying pan
- Cook bread for about 5 min on each side, or until golden brown.8-10 ea Thick slices of day-old sourdough bread
- Serve with maple syrup, whipped topping (recipe below), and other desired toppings. Enjoy!
Homemade Whipped Topping
- In a small bowl, add ¼ cup of cold milk. Scatter the powdered gelatin over the milk and let it sit for 5 minutes (to bloom).1 + ¼ cup Cold whole fat milk, 2 tsb Grass fed gelatin
- Once this mix is spongy, melt to turn into a liquid by heating in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour 1 cup of milk into a large bowl. Add the stevia and vanilla extract and stir. Pour in the melted gelatin mix and whisk together. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to cool.12 drops Stevia extract, 1 tsb Vanilla extract
- Take out of the fridge, and using an electric mixer whisk it up until the milk mix gets really thick and doubles in volume, about 3-4 minutes.
Optional toppings:Maple syrup, berries, banana slices, whipped cream (see recipe below), chopped nuts, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, coconut shreds … get creative!
- Can B12 Shots Help You Lose Weight? - October 9, 2022
- Tips on setting up for a dinner party - October 6, 2022
- How To Find More Enjoyment Cooking For One? - September 28, 2022
2 thoughts on “Sourdough French Toast and Homemade Whipped Topping Recipe”
This was very very interesting!!! Thanks
So glad you found it useful!